Saturday, September 26th, 9:00 am
The First Presbyterian Church (The Fish Church) 1101 Bedford St, Stamford, CT 06905
The sanctuary of First Presbyterian (1958) is a major accomplishment of twentieth-century architecture. Resembling the form of a fish on the outside, the church was conceived by architect Wallace K. Harrison as a modern interpretation of a gothic cathedral with soaring walls of colored glass, intended on the interior to convey the effect of being inside a jewel.
Unlike traditional cathedrals with leaded stained glass windows that can be removed for maintenance work, the thick slab glass here, known as “dalle de verre,” is actually part of the wall itself and in need of repair.
Its architectural conservation is the subject of an all-day program featuring international speakers at the church.
The program is hosted by the Fish Church Conservancy, a committee of the Highland Green Foundation which supports secular activities on the church campus.
Admission is open to the public and includes lunch, tours of the Sanctuary and carillon and an organ concert. The cost is $48.
For more information and to register go to http://fishchurchconservancy.org/